'Lashbrooke' Historic Homestead - Circa 1840 - 72.49ha (179.1 Acres)
216 Bugle Ranges Road MACCLESFIELD, SA 5153
Rare opportunity to acquire a property of exceptional heritage and prolific agricultural potential at Macclesfield, 40 minutes from the CBD. It comprises 179.1 acres of flat and gently sloping land which is the best quality land in the area.
According to the Mount Barker Heritage survey (2004) ‘Lashbrooke’ is the oldest large estate in the Bugle Ranges area. It sits in a lovely valley on Gould Creek which is a tributary of the Angas River. The land is studded with magnificent red gums, pink gums, manna gums and other eucalyptus, some of which are estimated to be more than 400 years old.
‘Lashbrooke’ was settled in 1844. The current stone house was begun in the late 1840’s and was added to over the next few years.
The house, barn and remains of the cemetery are of heritage interest. The house “displays pioneering building techniques and design, while the barn is an outstanding example of stone barn construction with its unusual curved roof” (Heritage Survey 2004).
The historic home is built of attractive Macclesfield stone. It has a fabulous open plan kitchen which has been renovated with quality appliances throughout. It is adjacent to a large living area with a combustion heater. The central passage leads to 4 double bedrooms (one with a dressing room attached) with a 5th bedroom or office. Several rooms have been renovated.
There are 2 large rooms beneath the house which are currently used as storage rooms and wine cellar. There is a 3rd small room there which was once used as a shower room.
The current owners have replaced the roof and added a new verandah which runs around 2 sides of the house and overlooks the front garden and creek.
The lovely garden features terraced rose beds with lawns surrounding the house. There are golden cypress pines and other treasures including mature oak trees. There is plenty of potential for a keen gardener to expand. Fruit trees include fig, lemon, olive, walnut, apple, pear, quince and cherry plum.
Originally the land was used for cereal production, orchards and market gardening, but in 1881, when bought by TR Bowman, it was used for grazing and has continued to be used as such. Successive owners used it as a fattening property for stock from their other properties. Today it is used for hay making, breeding quality cattle and stud alpacas. It carries 50 head of cattle.
There is an abundance of water on the property with one huge dam, another large dam and a winter soak. The bore (1100 ppm salinity) supplies a 20,000gallon header tank. There are several large rain water tanks. The average rainfall is 750mm.
There is 3 phase power and extensive shedding including:
• The stone barn containing a large machinery shed, a regular shed, a smaller room with
fireplace and a disused dairy.
• Hay shed and cattle yards.
• A 3-stand shearing shed containing a wonderful antique wool press.
• Sheep yards and a spray dip.
The property is fenced to 14 large paddocks with smaller holding paddocks adjacent to the house..
Rarely does one have the opportunity to purchase such a magnificent historic estate and restore it to its former grandeur. Inspection by Appointment.